Is Breakfast the Most Literary Meal of the Day?


Dwight Garner, (his twitter feed) in the Times, explores the connection between breakfast and great literature:

I’m from West Virginia, and we are a biscuit-loving people. A Huntington-based chain, Tudor’s Biscuit World, has a cultlike following. I eat biscuits with only moderate enthusiasm. They’re so filling that they prevent me from ingesting the other things I’d like to be eating. Like an unsolicited manuscript, a big biscuit can really punch a hole in your morning.



I’d like to be more like Ralph Ellison, who wrote to a friend that he dismayed people “with the vast damage I could do to a pan of biscuits.” Harry Crews, in his memoir “A Childhood,” wrote that he liked to puncture a biscuit and fill it with syrup, and then keep refilling it until it wouldn’t absorb anymore. He’d put two pieces of fried pork on top and share the whole thing with his dog.



In my house, we sometimes splurge on fancy butter, but mostly we use Land O’Lakes. The brand recently removed the Native American woman from its logo. I’m down with this, even if I’m gloomy that generations of bored children will never be able to discover the trick Lorrie Moore described in her novel “Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?”



Moore’s young and desperately horny characters would devote themselves to “cutting out the Indian maiden from the package and bending the knees so that they appeared like breasts through a slot we made in her chest.” The things we did for fun before the internet.

The rest here.

Comments

Popular Posts