Junk Journal Week 14



Screens:

The Straight Story is one of David Lynch's best and one of my favorites. The story is simple: an old man makes a long journey by lawnmower to mend his relationship with his dying brother. The picture is told with a great deal of sincerity.

STEVE! (martin) is three hours in two parts; I came to the end and wished it was longer. Great picture, but here are a couple of questions not answered: what was it like to work with Carl Reiner? How did he pay his rent over the first fifteen years with almost no audience?

Books:

Books of Jacob is an amazing book that takes a deep dive into the relationship between Jews and Poles in 18th century Poland. I did not understand everything, but I was impressed.

After 90 pages I realized that My Friends would not speak to me. I can see why others would be impressed.

I have not started Our Strangers yet, but I am a big fan of Davis' previous work.

John Barth died recently and was an important figure in postmodernism and metafiction. His big complicated novels especially Giles Goat-boy and The Sot Weed Factor are worth your time; his shorter and later work is also worth your time.

Current Reading:

SexCastle by Kyle Starks, From a Buick 8 (Grady Hendrix has a good essay on the novel), and The New Yorker Stories by Ann Beattie.

Comments

Popular Posts