Watching: Narcos and Vera Drake





I am currently working my way through two things on television. The first is Mike Leigh's 2004 movie Vera Drake. IMDB summarizes the story as:

Abortionist Vera Drake finds her beliefs and practices clash with the mores of 1950s Britain--a conflict that leads to tragedy for her family.


So, it does become a bit intense after the halfway point. So, beware. I would like to say that while some Mike Leigh movies like this one or Naked are intense and not for everyone, not all of his movies are like that. Life is Sweet, Another Year, and Happy Go Lucky are all much lighter in tone. All of these movies are available on the Criterion Channel until the end of the month.


I am also working my way through the first season of Narcos, one episode per night or less. I recommend that pace over binge watching. I usually get a lot more out of what I watch if I see it at a reasonable pace.


Comments

Popular Posts