After 14 Years, TV Worth Watching Closes


Since 2007, David Bianculli and crew have operated tvworthwatching.com. Today he ended the site. As he said there,

After 14 years of operation, TV Worth Watching is shifting to an archival site, where reader's comments still will be welcome and monitored, and all previous blogs will be available to revisit – but without any new editorial content after April 1. No Fooling.

I launched this TV Worth Watching website in 2007, within days after leaving my job as TV critic for The New York Daily News. (After 14 years there, I'd been hit by what I referred to as a "reverse Godfather": They made me an offer I couldn't accept.) Before that, I'd been a TV critic since 1975, working my way through daily newspapers in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York. I cared about quality TV from the start – and while hating the bad stuff, which was plentiful, I took much more delight in discovering and championing the good.

I have been checking this site, off and on, since its inception in 2007.  For instance, at the end of 2007 he listed his ten best shows. Those shows were:

  1. 30 Rock
  2. Friday Night Lights
  3. Dexter
  4. Lost
  5. Heroes 
  6. Nip/Tuck
  7. Pushing Daisies
  8. Sopranos
  9. Mad Men
  10. Damages

If you look around tvworthwatching.com and the Fresh Air archives you can find lots of content worth your time. 

Bianculli said that he wanted to keep his site going, but it was never financially sustainable, and he had some health issues and had to start saying no. I, for one, will miss the site.


Comments

Popular Posts