Listening to This American LIfe

The last few days I have been listening to a number of episodes of This American Life. There are two reasons for this interest: 

One, the New York Times recently ran an article about the show and Ira Glass, the host, recommended seven episodes. 

Two, the show announced that they are shutting down their mobile app at the end of 2020. And while I will still be able to listen to the show on my podcast app, PocketCasts, I will miss having the huge number of shows all in one spot.

Anyway.

One episode I particularly enjoyed was called Sissies. In particular, I enjoyed the act called The Pansy Kings Sing Songs Of Love. It captures an unpleasant part of American high schools in the 1980s that I had forgotten about: conformity in clothing. Why did so many of us dress the same in those days? The act is summarized as follows:

Chicago writer and actor Dave Awl, who runs a show called the Pansy King Cotillion, on how he accidentally discovered how not to get picked on as a sissy in high school.

Comments

Popular Posts