Junk Journal Week 35



Some people like posting about their reading once a month. And that is a great thing to do. Personally, I like posting my media consumption once a week on Sundays, looking back at my week in book buying and reading and my week in television and movies. I also enjoy combining my index card art with my media consumption in what I call a junk journal.

A highlight of the week is finishing the Iliad in translation. This is not my first time reading the text, but it was great to join a weekly reading group and discuss the book in 12 two hour sessions. Below is one extended simile from the book I enjoyed:

And Nestor also took a bronze-tipped spear,

and stood outside the hut, and soon he saw

the whole humiliating situation --

the Greeks in panic, trying to escape,

the dauntless Trojans chasing after them.

The wall the Greeks had built was broken down.

As when the deep sea swells with silent waves

and surges, seeking out the sudden courses

of whistling winds, but stays in place for now,

not rolling forward nor retreating back --

so Nestor was divided in his mind,

unsure if he should go and join the crowd 

of Greeks [or seek help]

(Iliad book 14: 16, translated by Emily Wilson)

Comments

Popular Posts