Junk Journal Week 28



Among the media I consumed this week was Powers’ epic novel about DNA, love, science, music, art and other things. 

Moniz’ book is a collection of stories about the thoughts and lives of a series of young African American women. I liked what Roxanne Gay said about the collection on GoodReads:

Moniz writes with incredible sharpness and precision, and there is an ache in so many of these stories. They all end without much resolution but it works. There is a real confidence in a writer saying, this is as much of the story as you need to know. This is as much of the story as I want to tell.

My on screen viewing included Visconti’s epic Rocco and his brothers; do look for this picture on Criterion if you haven’t seen it. Thanks to my friend Ted for recommending it. A major influence on Martin Scores and Francis Ford Coppola. 

I also continued my tour through the pictures of Paul Schrader with Cat People and Patty Hearst.

This closeness, available on Mubi, is an indie drama about a couple who rents a room from a socially awkward man. The dialogue is a highlight of the picture.

Comments

Popular Posts