Quote of the Day from Drover's Secret Life


Here is a quote from from Drover's Secret Life (Hank the Cowdog 53) by John R Eirckson that I enjoyed yesterday:


I enjoy sleeping. I love to sleep. I’d rather sleep than do almost anything, but I wouldn’t want to do it all the time, day and night. I think I’d get tired of it after a while.

If you get tired of running, you can always lie down and sleep, but if you get tired of lying down and sleeping, what do you do? I worry about things like that.

I worry about a lot of stuff. What would happen if the sun didn’t come up in the morning? What if it came up in the evening? How would we know if it was evening or morning?

It would mess up everything (kindle location 417).

 

When my kids were younger they absolutely loved listening to Hank the Cowdog audiobooks on long trips. They laughed and laughed.

 

I listened to and read this story about the dog Drover yesterday to take a break from more serious books. I think it is a good idea to consider reading a good book written for children once in a while. 


There are many places to find good children's books; I would start by asking at your local public library. But if you want an online source I highly recommend Betsey Bird. You can find Betsy online at this location. Here is how she describes herself:


Betsy Bird is currently Evanston Public Library’s Collection Development Manager. She has served on Newbery, written for Horn Book, and has done other lovely little things that she’d love to tell you about but that she’s sure you’d find more interesting to hear of in person. Her opinions are her own and do not reflect those of EPL, SLJ, or any of the other acronyms you might be able to name. Most recently she co-wrote Wild Things: Acts of Mischief in Children’s Literature will fellow bloggers Peter Sieruta and Julie Danielson.  You can follow Betsy on Twitter @FuseEight or email her at fusenumber8.

 

You can find some of Betsy's recommendations for best books of 2021 by clicking on the following links: 

2021 Best Audiobooks for Kids
2021 Middle Grade Novels

Here is another thing that Betsy has written:


 

So I run this marvelous committee out of my library every year that determines the 101 Great Books for Kids. It’s something I stole from my former employer New York Public Library, and I absolutely love running it. Now here’s the problem. I also write books for kids. And putting your own book on the committee that YOU created and help run… that’s a bit skeezy, isn’t it? It’s a little “Oh wow! What a coincidence! A book I wrote made it onto this list I run!” Yech. So it was with a tiny bit of sadness that we made sure that Long Road to the Circus, my debut novel, didn’t make it onto our list. That said, I suffer no such compunctions with today’s list. Why? Because unlike my work’s committee, this is a one-woman show. And as such, I actually think my book is kind of good. If you haven’t heard of it before, it was born out of a crazy coincidence. You see, my grandmother’s no good uncle used to skip out on his farm chores when she was a kid. Why? Because he’d walk on over to an elderly ex-circus performer’s house to try to learn how to teach the farm horses circus tricks. Her name? Madame Marantette. Fast forward to the future and Caldecott Award winning illustrator David Small actually lives IN the Marantette House! I thought a picture book might come out of this story. David, however, saw it as a novel. The end result? A kooky tale about Suzy, a girl determined to get out of small town Michigan and into the big bright world. And how’s she gonna do it? Well… you ever seen a lady ride an ostrich side saddle? You will. It’s a goofy little thing, but I’m fond of it. And the New York Times recently included it on their list of 25 Best Children’s Books of the Year, so that’s something.
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts