Current Reading: Priestdaddy


Today, I started reading Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood. I came across this passage where Locckwood describes meeting a new boyfriend for the first time in person after only communicating online previously. I laughed out loud when I read it:

"Do you have a criminal record?" I asked him. It had never occurred to me to wonder. I had never even run a stop sign, or stolen a lipstick, or torn one of those tags off a mattress. I realized for the first time that I knew very few facts about him, only feelings.

He cocked his head to one side. "No, but the FBI once barged through my front door when I was fifteen years old because they thought I was a genius hacker."

I remembered the leather gloves and the streaming green numbers, and the sound of the word "cyber" in my mother's mouth. "WERE you a genius hacker?"

"No, but one of my friend's was. He had been stealing people's credit card information and using it to buy climbing gear. When they caught him, he gave them my name."

"That's the most Colorado crime I've ever heard of."

"He works at MIT now. Anyway, they took my computer away and searched it and found nothing but hundreds of guitar tab websites."

"Your secret shame!"

"When they burst in shouting, 'WE KNOW WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING!' I thought, 'Oh my god, the feds know I've been trying to learn the chord progression to "American Pie" for months now."


Comments

Popular Posts