Review: I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter

I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sánchez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In this novel, Sanchez shows us a Chicago teenager struggling with trying to finish high school and be the first in her Mexican-American family to apply to and attend college after her sister has recently died.

One of the main themes of the book is the main character’s. Julia, desire to become independent and to break away from Chicago, her family, and her Mexican heritage. But, as the novel unfolds, she begins to realize such a change is much more complicated than she thought it would be.

Julia suffers some through some difficult mental health issues that neither she nor her parents know how to handle. So, at one point, Julia’s mother sends her for an extended stay to the Mexican village they came from. Julia begins to understand that life in the village is different than Chicago.
At first, I wonder how he knows my last name or who I am, but then I remember everyone knows everyone’s business in Los Ojos. Tio Chuco say you can’t even fart without the whole town finding out (location 3044).


While in Mexico, Julia also realizes things about her father she never suspected:

   
“Why didn’t you tell me that you drew, that you were an artist?” I wonder why I’m so nervous speaking to my own father.
    Apa scratches under his mustache. “Who told you that?”
    “Mama Jacinta. She showed me your drawing of Ama. It’s really good. Why did you stop?” I twist my napkin in my hand.
    “Because there was no point. What was I going to do? Sell my drawings? It was a waste of time.” Apa stares at slices of sunlight on the table.
    “It’s not. It’s not at all. How could you say that? It’s art. It’s beautiful and it matters.” My voice gets loud, even though I don’t mean it to.
    “Julia, sometimes in life you don’t get to do what you want to do. Sometimes you have to deal with what’s given to you, shut up, and keep working. That’s it.” Apa gets up and places his cup in the sink (location 3609).

About Julia’s recently deceased sister, Olga, someone tells Julia:
   
“You know Olga never wanted to leave your parents. She would have done anything for them. She always wanted to be a good daughter” (location 3386).

Julia eventually realizes that her sister was not the perfect daughter:
   
“I know, right?” It’s so ridiculous, I almost laugh -- my angelic sister having a steamy love affair (location 3489).

   


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts